Sunday, June 19, 2011

Clarence Clemons: RIP Big Man



Like many people, the first time I heard Clarence Clemons play saxophone was on Springsteen's breakthrough 'Born To Run' album, albeit with my first listen being many years after its release. In my opinion, no other set of songs established what an integral part he was of The E Street Band. And Bruce Springsteen knew it too, including him on the now famous cover, and immortalizing him in song on 'Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out'.

Clemons was everywhere on that album from the soaring opening to 'Thunder Road', through the title track and the aforementioned 'Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out' and most notably the epic sax solo in 'Jungleland'.

Of course Clemons had a huge input on other classic Springsteen records like 'Darkness On The Edge Of Town' (who can forget 'Badlands?'), 'The River' ('Ties That Bind' being an immediate go to point for Clemons) and 'Born In The U.S.A.' (the fantastic 'Bobby Jean'), not to mention 'The Rising', 'Magic' and 'Working On A Dream'.

In June 2009 I was lucky enough to see The E Street Band live at Hyde Park in London. No one else I knew was that much of a Springsteen nut to pay the extortionate amount I had for tickets on eBay (they had sold out weeks prior), but it was a show I couldn't miss, and it turned out to be the best gig I have ever attended, and Clarence Clemons  had a lot to do with that.

The Band played 'Badland' as their second song, and the eruption from the crowd for Clemons solo was something I'll never forget. Likewise, the absolute silence that descended on Hyde Park during 'Jungleland' was something I've never experienced before, and doubt I ever will again.

Moments like that are just like Clarence Clemons. One of a kind. RIP Big Man.

No comments: