Friday, December 9, 2011

American Psycho Remake

As some of you may have heard, American Psycho is going to be remade. Yes, the window for remakes is closing ever faster, but this is one I'd actually like to see.

I liked the original film, and Christian Bale was so good as Patrick Bateman I can't envisage anyone else playing him. But it wasn't the book, and I would really like to see someone take a swing and making something closer to that.

But, no. This remake appears to be set after the events of the book, dealing with how Bateman survives in the modern day world. Vaguely interesting, sure, but it's not exactly a remake. But I'd rather see Bret Easton Ellis write the thing first, rather than someone try an original story.

I read someone on Tumblr say that the books of Bret Easton Ellis are unfilmable. It's been the case so far, no argument there. I mean the closest adaptation to the source material was The Rules Of Attraction.

Not even Easton Ellis himself could nail it, look at the disastrous version of The Informants that was released. At one point co-written by Easton Ellis, then mauled into a dull slog of a film, which left one of the main threads of the book out! It was probably one of the easier of his books to adapt, albeit totally pointless as the book was just a random collection of short stories.

I think if the right director came along, there could be great adaptations of his work. Look at Less Than Zero. Good film, but so far removed from the book it may as well have been called something else. I'd like to see a redo of that, also. Properly done.

Lunar Park is a book I'd love to see adapted, but while there are plenty of capable directors, I don't think any movie studio would bother with something so adventurous.

And as for Glamorama? Well that one is definitely unfilmable. Anyone would make a spectacular hash of that, and I'm glad no-one has tried.

At the end of the day, all we are going to be stuck with is another shoddy American Psycho spin-off, and all we can do is hope it's better than American Psycho 2: All American Girl...

No comments: