Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dad

On Tuesday March 9th 2010 my father John sadly passed away.

I had been thinking of the ways possible to cover this on here as Dad was a reader of my blog (I remember his reaction when my brother showed him the one about prostitutes...he thought I was creative yet mental).

I was going to talk about him at length but the wonderful talk the Humanist minister did at his funeral far surpassed anything I could ever write. So I am simply going to publish a poem he wrote many years ago that we found the day after he died that has been such a help and comfort to me. I hope you like it.


When time has come for us to go
And leave our loved ones behind,
Let not their hearts be filled with woe
And life to them unkind.

For when we sleep this dreamless sleep
And venture on beyond,
In our hearts our love will keep,
Their troubles will be gone.

Then we meet our loved ones
Who left us in days gone by,
And joyous will be the meeting
With tears of joy in every eye.

To the dear ones whom we have left
With sorrow and heartbreak pain,
Do not weep for us, for we are but asleep,
To be born again.

By John Downie.

Quite simply I wouldn't have the sense of humour I have today if it wasn't for Dad, and will continue posting stupid, random things on here in his memory because I know wherever he is out there, he is shaking his head and laughing at me.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Nicola Coppack said...

good stuff thom =) really lovely poem