Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Film Review: Anvil! The Story Of Anvil



I will the first to admit. Before I had heard about this movie I had never heard of Anvil. Sure I may have skimmed past the name in an issue of Classic Rock once or twice but it never really registered. The Donington nerd in me knew they had played in 1982 at the Monsters Of Rock festival but that was about it.

Hell, it took me this long to watch the documentary! I didn't even see them play at last years Download festival.

To be honest, and contrary to public belief I'm not really into that particular brand of classic rock. Find the whole "Metulllzzz" thing a bit silly. Anvil do seem to have a few good songs though.

But even if you don't like rock music at all I urge you to check this documentary. It is one of the best I have seen. You don't have a heart if you don't feel for these guys by the end.

Anvil! follows the band as they commence a pretty disastrous European tour. I won't spoil it for people yet to watch but some of what happens to them borders on tragic. It can be really hard to watch in places, you really feel for the band.

It also centres of the friendship and home life of original members Steve 'Lips' Kudlow (Vocals/Guitar) and Robb Reiner (Drums, and coincidentally has the same name as the director of This Is Spinal Tap a film which Anvil! sadly echoes at times).

The director Sacha Gervasi (Best known till now for writing Tom Hanks vehicle The Terminal) has been a life long Anvil fan and it really shows at times. A lot of film makers would have shown what happened in a negative or comical light while Gervasi just shoots and it's the audience who decides what's 'funny' or 'sad'.

As I say, the fact it is about rock music is almost superfluous. Like all incredible pieces of film it strips that away and focuses on the people.

*****
Heart breaking and heart warming at the same time. Leave your pre-conceptions about what Anvil do at the door and enjoy this study of the men behind the music.

No comments: