Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Film Review: Moon



Out of all the genres of films I have to say that sci-fi - in particular space based sci-fi is my least favorite. I have never been able to pinpoint exactly why - maybe it is suspending disbelief THAT much. I can so Zombies, Werewolves, Vampires but aliens from another planet? Never quite got along with that.

Of course it's unfair to paint the entire genre with the same brush. There are the classics that transcend the tag 'sci-fi' such as Blade Runner, Alien and The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension (Which I may or may not be joking about.)

And now there is Moon. Directed by Duncan Jones (formerly Zowie Bowie, also a point to note his first feature film!) Moon stars Sam Rockwell as Sam Bell who is nearing the end of a three year stint mining the Moon for a new energy substance that is used as fuel on Earth. As the end nears things begin to get a little strange.

I can't really say anymore about the plot without spoilers cropping up so shall cut right to it. Moon is an amazing film which I throughly enjoyed even with a slightly shaky start (and that was down to me not having a clue what was going on - second viewing I know that feeling will be gone) and Sam Rockwell is truly superb (again I can't say too much about his performance for the sake of spoilers.)

Kevin Spacey also appears - providing the voice of Rockwell's stations computer GERTY. Spacey is perfect for the voice with an air of detachment and I never really knew whether to trust 'him' or not. Inspired vocal casting.

It boggles my mind how films in the same genre such as District 9 and Avatar (especially Avatar with its generic story and over-reliance on visual effects to tell said story) got Best Picture nods at this years Oscars while Moon got... nothing. Not even for Clint Mansell's magnificent score.

I urge you to check it out.

*****

An amazing debut, an amazing performance from Sam Rockwell, an amazing score...AMAZING.


No comments: